These days there are choices for cleanses and detoxes left and right, but the discerning individual will see that not all programs or products are created equal.
As a whole, a comprehensive cleanse will be specifically aimed at improving your:
- Skin radiance
- Cholesterol levels
- Energy levels
- Insulin levels
- Sustainability habits
- Eating habits
- Cellular health
When people find themselves ready to cleanse they not only want short-term results they want to be able to maintain those benefits. I created the Avalon Cleanse in 2005 and the problem I see with so many other products and programs out there is that they don’t really engage the individual in transforming their life. The attitude too often is, “Take these capsules or drink this juice and in a few days you’re done. You can go back to your old way of living and then detox when you feel like crap or need to lose weight again.” Wouldn’t it be amazing to consistently feel good about your health though?
Another huge problem is the duration of most cleanses. Sure you can boost your system with some vital nutrients by drinking juice for a few days, but that doesn’t usually give you enough time to go deep with detoxing. After all, effective detoxing involves improving digestion, minimizing toxic exposure, and removing a reasonable amount of accumulated toxins stored in the body. Without all the other holistic habits being practiced and without fiber for toxins to really bind to and exit the body many of these juice cleanses are more like liquid diets.
Holistic Secret: The words detox, cleanse, and fast are often used interchangeably. However, a fast always restricts calories, while a cleanse or detox may not. Most Westerners benefit more from a comprehensive cleanse rather than a fast.
A smart cleanse will help you strategically cultivate foundational, healthy habits such as:
- Practicing presence and positivity
- Staying well hydrated
- Breathing well
- Chewing well
- Prioritizing organic, natural, and local food/farming
- Emphasizing enzymes in the diet
- Keeping good bacteria healthy and strong in the gut
- Being physically active
- Focusing on plant-based foods
- Focusing on fiber-rich foods
- Integrating medicinal herbs
- Minimizing toxic exposure
- Minimizing wasteful and toxic habits
- Enjoying the process of cleansing and living well
- Choosing a smart, comprehensive cleanse
All in all, a smart, comprehensive cleanse is designed to be a springboard to lose toxins, lose excessive weight and boost vitality. It addresses the body head to toe (rather than narrowing it down the way a colon cleanse or a liver cleanse might.) It also honors the mental and emotional aspect of cleansing. To be clear, unlike a fast or extreme detox there are no calorie restrictions, no intense mood swings from being hungry, no camping out in the bathroom, and no issues with feeling too weak/light-headed to be productive (or safe when driving or biking.) I think this is the main distinction people are pleasantly surprised to discover and experience.
Ultimately a smart, comprehensive cleanse will be at least two weeks and not only will it help promote cellular health and emotional wellbeing it’ll also be a much smarter approach to natural weight loss than diets or extreme detoxes. Whether it’s through a coach, a class, or a book, a worthwhile program will not only help you meet your current health and/or weight loss goals, but it’ll help you create a new vision of possibilities for your quality of life and contribution to the rest of the world.
Questions When Considering a Cleanse Program
- Is the program at least two weeks long?
- Are restaurant ideas and easy recipes provided so you can feel confident about healthy eating after the program as well?
- Does the program recommend detoxifying herbs and if so, what can you typically expect in terms of physiological responses?
- How much time will you need to prepare food?
- Can you eat out or travel while cleansing?
- Is it possible to do a gluten-free or soy-free version of the cleanse?
- Does the program provide information to help reduce overall toxic exposure through diet and lifestyle?
No matter which kind of program you choose remember to do your best to infuse the journey with joy and gratitude.