There’s a lot more going on with the kidneys and urinary system than you might think. The urinary system helps balance electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium, and calcium while disposing toxins, fluids, and waste (like ammonia and urea) through our urine. The kidneys not only help remove toxic waste they help regulate blood pressure and the body’s pH (acid-alkaline ration.) Additionally, important hormones and enzymes are produced and secreted by these organs while they process and convert Vitamin D into a form that promotes bone health and optimal development.
To help motivate you in caring for your kidneys and urinary system, here’s some key information, including anatomy, fascinating facts, stress factors, plus potential symptoms to be aware of for health problems with the kidneys and urinary system…
THE URINARY SYSTEM INCLUDES THE:
- Kidneys – including nephrons, the renal cortex, renal medulla, and renal pelvis
Fascinating Facts About the Kidneys and Urinary System
- Each kidney is about the size of a fist.
- Nephrons are microscopic units within the kidneys that filter blood into urine and each kidney contains approximately 1 million of them.
- The kidneys filter over 30 gallons of the blood a day.
- Urine is sterile, however it removes toxins such as pharmaceuticals and drugs, unwanted yeast, and organic chemicals.
- Compounds in bile make urine yellow, but excessive Riboflavin (B-2) is what makes urine bright yellow.
- Kidneys are the most transplanted organ.
Potential Symtoms of Compromised Urinary & Kidney Health
- Back pain (especially the lower back)
- Blood in the urine (or darkly colored urine)
- Congestive heart failure
- Difficult or painful urination
- Kidney and bladder cancer
- Kidney stones
- Hypertension and hypotension
- Low energy
- Mysterious bouts of chills, fever, and nausea
- Puffiness under the eyes
- Related cancers/diseases/disorders
- Sexual dysfunction
- Susceptibility to infection
- Toxemia during pregnancy
- Water retention and swelling in the hands and feet
Stress Factors for Urinary Health
- Artificial food additives
- Excessive protein
- High and/or chronic levels of fear
- High and/or chronic levels of stress resulting in depletion
- Heavy metals (including mercury from dental fillings)
- Inadequate hygiene for genetalia
- Refined salt
Holistic Secret: Women can often avoid UTIs (urinary tract infections) by always wiping front to back after urinating. Both men and women can help prevent UTIs by staying well hydrated as well.
Find out which foods and herbs are best for the kidneys, the urinary system, and overall mind-body health in my Radiant Health program.
My mission: As a Holistic Health Coach & Eco Expert, I’m dedicated to leading you straight to the core of what it takes to enjoy a new level of vitality, desired weight loss, sustainability, and detoxification. Enjoy my transformative programs and experience true health with true purpose!