Blended foods and spreads are easier on the digestive system, which make them great for supporting natural energy and doing a detox like The Avalon Cleanse. Hummus is a classic choice, but there are some drawbacks to consider. If you’re buying it at the store chances are you’re paying way too much and wasting a lot of plastic. If you’re making it at home from canned garbanzo beans you may inadvertently be exposing yourself to BPA, a hormone disruptor, since BPA is used to line most cans (Eden Organics is an exception.) Now, if you happen to buy dried garbanzo beans you still have to soak them before turning them into hummus. If you’re willing to put in the effort that’s fantastic, but I want to share a quick recipe that’s perfect for people (especially moms) with full schedules.
So, to simplify everything and pack in more nutrients, like Omega 3’s, try this recipe for my Superfood Spread™. The anti-inflammatory ingredients are excellent for beautiful skin and hair, immune boosting, creating real energy, as well as stabilizing sugar (insulin) levels. On top of that, this healthy recipe is dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and nut-free. In other words, it’s amazing for anyone concerned with common food allergies or food intolerances.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (raw + organic from Living Tree Community Foods is excellent)
- ½ cup water (more or less depending on desired thickness)
- ½ cup raw pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup raw hemp seeds
- 1-2 tbsp flax seeds (adding more will increase fiber content)
- In a blender combine ingredients until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- a dash of sea salt (to help preserve it)
- any herbs or seasonings you prefer
- a splash of lemon juice
- any fresh greens or pulp from juicing
This spread can be enjoyed on fresh veggies, whole grain crackers, or whole grain bread. You can even add a dollop to a salad or your cereal. Store the Superfood Spread in a container with a lid in the fridge and enjoy within a few days.
Leave a Reply