Attending a lot of events (green or not) inspired me to write and share this list. Whether it’s a business conference, trade show, charity fundraiser, or any other organized event see how you can be more eco.
1) BYOBC – bring your own beverage container (stainless steel or glass is highly recommended as a healthier more sustainable alternative to plastic).
2) BYON – bring your own nametag. Hang on to a reusable lanyard and use it at each event. You can even customize your own text, making it as effective as possible with your name, title, and website.
3) BYORB – bring your own reusable bag(s) for gift shopping. These can also be useful for events where promotional materials and samples are given. www.chicobag.com
4) BYOU – bring your own utensils and/or cloth napkin. Check out lightweight To-Go Ware utensils, which are also a great substitute for take-out plastic utensils and throwaway chopsticks. www.to-goware.com
5) Transportation – Carpool, use public transportation, or walk.
6) Wear some eco fashion: vintage, clothes swap items, thrift store finds, and/or sustainable fabrics such as organic cotton or hemp. When someone compliments you on your attractive attire you can share how it’s eco. Items to consider: shirt, blazer, slacks, belt, accessories, handbag, shoes, etc.
7) Take pictures of other people’s business cards when networking instead of taking them with you. There are apps that will even organize the info so you can store it easily in your contacts.
8) Consider offering a promo exclusively for the event (if it isn’t an eco event or you don’t provide eco services/products, come up with an eco related discount that can still be applied). The more people who love and share your eco services, values, and/or products, the more we’re strengthening the sustainability movement.
9) Have the right supplies – When taking notes about any presentations, go digital or use a sustainable paper notebook (most office supplies stores carry them).
10) Share this list with other people and events via email, websites, facebook, and other social media platform. Be sure to credit the author. www.RachelAvalon.com
BONUS IDEAS: Bring a solar powered phone and/or computer charger as needed. Whenever printing business cards and materials choose sustainable printing methods.